Oven fire in Smith’s
Firefighters tackled an oven fire at a home on Middle Road in Smith’s shortly after 10.30am today.
Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service responded to the incident, which resulted in no injuries, with four firefighters.
Fire service spokesman Sergeant Delton White said: “Upon arrival we found a smouldering oven emitting smoke with no flames visible.
“On further inspection we found a cake box within the oven that had started to ignite due to the oven being turned on without the resident realising that the cake box was still in the oven.
“We removed the box from the oven to an external location and initiated ventilation to remove the smoke from the residence.”
The oven and refrigerator received minor heat and smoke damage.
Sergeant White added: “The Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service would like to take this opportunity to note to the public that accidents do happen, but whenever possible, before starting an appliance that can cause fire, check the surroundings and internally for any items or objects that could become or cause a fire hazard.”
The Loft: a new private-function venue
Witness to be examined in Madoff case
Brown delivers broadside at Health Council
Committee investigates airport protests
Genealogist donates life’s work to Bermuda
Farewell to a ‘Bermudian hero’
Young lands regular role on Oprah show
Scott demands Civil Service clarity
Dunkley questions ‘extra’ Civil Service job
UK MP calls for action over Partnership Act
Family crucial to success of children
Passionate about benefits of hemp
Uncle Bob’s parting shot is value for money
St George’s Club members call for help
Police officer cleared of threatening man
First phase of Caroline Bay nearing finish
Take Our Poll