Double drink driving limit man banned
A 42-year-old Smith’s man was today fined and banned from the roads for 18 months for drink-driving.
Luis Cardoso Machado pleaded guilty in Magistrates’ Court to driving in Paget while impaired.
The court heard that police officer were standing next to a car at the Ice Queen parking lot at about 3.40am on September 2 when they saw Machado get in the vehicle and attempt to reverse.
The officers shouted at him to stop because there where two people standing behind the car.
But Machado attempted to reverse again and one of the officers reached into the car and turned off the engine.
The officer noticed that the defendant appeared to have been drinking — although Machado denied it.
But he later told officers that he’d “only had one beer”.
A breath test showed he had 209 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood — more than twice the legal limit of 80 milligrams.
Magistrate Khamisi Tokunbo, in addition to the driving ban, fined Machado $1,200.
• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any slanderous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.
Financial assistance unsustainable — DeSilva
Mystery over strange lights
Man extradited to face sex assault charges
Man charged with $8 million heroin plot
Special Olympian fondly remembered
Noon update: Maria still ‘potential threat’
Hurricane Maria delays arrival of ships
FedEx delivers again in Top Ten Employers
Fireminds to expand with major US investment
Bermudian model targets top title
Caines on way to achieving ambition
Helping mental health sufferers
Hope for jobs through sports clubs
Call for public to help in at-risk areas
‘I’ve got the power’
Take Our Poll
- What will be the best way to create needed new jobs?
- Attract more international companies
- Grow the population
- Reduce the number of non-Bermudian workers
- Develop new business sectors other than international business and tourism
- Retrain the workforce
- Total Votes: 5529
- Poll Archive